02 Apr 2019 Congressional Art Competition
Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Congressional Art Competition is an opportunity to recognize and encourage artistic talent nationwide, as well as in our congressional district. The Competition began in 1982 to provide an opportunity for members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition.
All entries must meet the following criteria:
- Be two dimensional.
- If selected as the winning piece, it must arrive in Washington, D.C., framed.
- Be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep, including the frame.
- Not weigh more than 15 pounds.
- Be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are:
- paintings (oli, acrylics, watercolor, etc.);
- drawings (colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal, etc.);
- collages; prints (lithographs, silkscreen, block prints);
- mixed media (use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.);
- computer-generated art; and
It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed. Work entered must be in the original medium; that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing. Framing rules apply only to the winning artwork. The artwork will hang in the U.S. Capitol Building for the duration of the exhibition. Students should only submit artwork they will not need for other purposes. Please take time to review all rules for students and teachers:
All entries must be accompanied by a Student Information and Release Form.
Entries for the 2019 Congressional Art Competition must be submitted no later than Friday, April 26. Submissions should be delivered to one of the district offices in Carmel or Anderson. Arrangements can be made to pick up your entry.
To make arrangements or if you have any questions regarding the Art Competition, please contact Autumn Meeker in our Anderson office at (765) 640-5115 or by email at email@example.com