28 Oct RFQ: Muralist for Martin Luther King Jr 2021 Celebration at Conner Prairie
Conner Prairie Museum seeks an artist with the ability to work quickly in large scale on a commissioned piece for the institution’s upcoming Martin Luther King Jr. 2021 celebration. This artwork will be focused on the Black pioneers of Indiana and their legacy over the generations leading up to present day.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
November 16, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
- Be able to meet all of the project requirements (see below)
- Be age 18 or over
- Be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to a strict budget and timeline
- Carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project (Conner Prairie can provide a referral to an insurance provider if needed)
THIS PROJECT WILL REQUIRE:
- Providing a concept design with application
- Painting and sealing a panel provided by Conner Prairie Museum Inc.
- The artwork will be 4’ wide and 8’ tall
- Coordinating with Conner Prairie to develop an approved design
- Creating the work on site at Conner Prairie during regular business hours 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Working on the artwork in view of the general public on Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2021
This project will carry a commission fee of $2,000 for design, and fabrication of the artwork. This fee is to cover all of the artists’ compensation and anticipated expenses, including (but not limited to) design fees, paint, brushes, sealant, other materials, production and labor. Payment will be made in two installments: 1/2 will be paid to the artist at the beginning of the project, with the remaining 1/2 to be paid upon completion of the project. Please note that these payments can take up to 30 days to arrive.
Artists must submit their qualifications to Merlin Bell (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, November 16, 2020. Representatives from the Conner Prairie will review submitted qualifications and select up to three finalists to interview further.
Note: While this is the intended selection process, in the event of an insufficient number of qualified applicants, Conner Prairie Museum Inc. reserves the right to invite an artist to propose, or to directly select an artist and also reserves the right to cancel the opportunity entirely at any point and for any reason.
Finalists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
Technical Ability: Artist’s submission indicates professionalism, skill with materials and techniques, and indicates the capacity to meet the requirements of this project
Artistic Quality: Artist’s past work is appropriate to its context, innovative, creative and stylistically distinctive
This timeline represents the project as it now appears. Changes may be necessary as the project progresses.
- Release Request for Qualifications: October 9, 2020
- Deadline for qualification submissions: November 16, 2020
- Selection Committee Review: November 17-24, 2020
- Selection of final candidate: No later than November 30, 2020
- Design and Fabrication: January 13-20, 2021
- Installation: Week of January 18, 2021
HOW TO APPLY:
Artists must submit the following information to Merlin Bell, Manager of Applied Theater, Conner Prairie Museum Inc. email@example.com (please note: submission materials will not be returned to applicants).
- Application: Please fill out the form at the bottom of this page completely and return it (including your proposed budget) with the other items listed below.
- Resume: Please include a copy of your artistic resume
- Cover Letter: Please include a statement about your interest in this project. Please also include a statement about how your previous work experience qualifies you for this opportunity.
- Examples of previous artwork: Submit 2-10 digital images in .jpg or .pdf format of past work. Please limit the file size of each image to 2MB or less. If possible, include images of at least 1 previous project that is appropriate to the conditions of this brief.
- Image information sheet: Submit a sheet with the following information about each submitted project: title, date completed, client/neighborhood/site name, total artwork budget, and a brief (1-2 sentences) description of the project or piece at is relates to this project. Include a directory of which image titles you have submitted are associated with each project (ex: for an artist named Smith: PROJECT x: Images Smith 1, Smith 2, Smith 3; PROJECT Y: Smith 4, Smith 5, Smith 6). Submit this sheet in .doc, .docx or .pdf format.
DELIVERY OF SUBMISSIONS:
Submissions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, shared via WeTransfer.com. or mailed to Conner Prairie Museum Inc
Mailed submissions must be loaded on a single usb drive. CDs, DVDs, or printed items cannot be accepted. USB drives must arrive at Conner Prairie no later than 11:59 pm on Monday, November 16, 2020. A WeTransfer share request must be time-stamped by 11:59 pm on Monday, November 16, 2020 – all items must be included in the shared folder by that time. Any item that is time-stamped as being uploaded after 11:59 pm will be disqualified from consideration.
The Delivery Address is:
ATTN: Merlin Bell
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers, IN 46038
Contact: Merlin Bell, Manager of Applied Theater, Conner Prairie: email@example.com or 317-776-6000 ext.164
Items marked with an asterisk are required.
First Name *
Last Name *
Address 1 *
Zip / Post Code *
Website and/or social media links (if you have them):
Do we need to know anything else about you or your schedule as it relates to the proposed timeline for this project? *
Tell us about your ideas for this project: *