05 Jun Fishers District Mural Request For Qualifications
Thompson Thrift Retail Group (TTRG), on behalf of Fishers District, the Fishers Arts and Cultural Commission, and Nickel Plate Arts is soliciting artist proposals for four prominent outdoor wall murals to be installed at the new Fishers District located on 116th and IKEA Way near IKEA and Top Golf in Fishers, Indiana. Artists may propose designs for one or more of these murals.
The murals are intended to be representative of Fishers and should embrace the city’s SMART | VIBRANT | ENTREPRENEURIAL spirit. The goal is to create murals that offer an “Instagramable” moment for the residents and visitors to Fishers District.
The mural(s) must fit within the confines of the walls (site plans, renderings and wall dimensions are included herein). All mediums will be considered – paint, printed applique, dimensional, and other, pending the approval of the Developer and City of Fishers. Application must be durable and withstand inclement weather for up to 5 years.
To qualify, artists must:
- Be 18 years of age or older and live in the United States.
- Have previously created public art, large-scale works, or exterior projects on their own or as part of an artist team.
- Carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project. (Nickel Plate Arts can provide a referral to an insurance provider if needed.)
- Be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to the strict timeline and budget.
Applications must be submitted to Lori Wick, 111 Monument Circle, Suite 1600, Indianapolis, IN 46204, by Friday, 6/21/19 following the guidelines provided below.
Proposals will be reviewed by a committee made up of representatives of TTRG, City of Fishers, Fishers Arts and Cultural Commission, and Nickel Plate Arts. This committee will select up to 5 finalists to interview about their qualifications. Finalists will have at least one week to prepare for their interview and must bring a resume and a simple concept sketch of their idea to the interview and be prepared to discuss their qualifications and ideas.
Artists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- Work of the highest caliber and effective execution.
- Demonstrate a mastery of creating large public art pieces.
- Experience working within program guidelines.
- Ability to complete work within a specified timeframe and budget.
- Artistic style that will create visual impact on pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and evocatively incorporate the themes and concepts requested.
- Special consideration will be given to artists with a close tie to Fishers and Hamilton County.
The budget for this artwork will be up to $10,000 per mural (a minimum of 4 locations available). The artist is expected to budget for all costs associated with the design, necessary fabrication and installation of the art. This should also include all supplies, shipping, equipment for install, and travel and lodging if required. Partners involved with this project may be able to provide additional assistance in locating and obtaining materials or equipment.
- Proposal submissions due: 6/21
- Committee reviews proposals: 6/24 – 6/28
- Possible finalists interviews: 7/1 – 7/9
- Winner(s) Announced: on or before 7/12
- Design development: 7/12 – 8/2
- Design review: 8/3 – 8/9
- Final Design approval by partners: by 8/11
- Fabrication/Preparation: 8/8 – 8/30
- Installation: 8/8 – 9/27 (dependent upon weather & final construction details).
To apply, please fill out the attached form and email or mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thompson Thrift Retail Group
111 Monument Circle, Ste. 1600
Indianapolis, IN 46204
P: 317 853 5444
Submissions must be complete and must arrive by 6/21/19 to be eligible. Please note: this is NOT a postmark deadline.
Submissions must include:
- The attached application form
- A Statement of Interest (no longer than 1 page) in which you highlight:
- Your interest in this project
- Your professional qualifications
- Your concept for this project
- A Concept sketch or other visual representation of your ideas for the piece
- Current Resume or CV (no longer than 3 pages)
- Work Samples: Each artist may submit 1 CD or 1 binder of work samples. Binders may contain no more than 8 pages. Submit examples of sculpture that best represent your experience, style, and ability. In addition, you may also submit images of any other work (large scale or otherwise) that best represents your work over the past 5 years. Please include a document or labels that provides details about your work samples. If possible, submit in-progress photos along with images of the completed sculpture.
Following The Artists Progress:
Thompson Thrift Retail Group is excited to sponsor the mural project at Fishers District and will be scheduling media events to cover the announcement of the artists selected for each mural as well as an unveiling event upon completion. Additional detail will be provided to each artist following the selection process.