30 Oct RFQ: East Alley Mural Embellishments
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS:
The City of Noblesville seeks an experienced artist to embellish 5 recessed sections of the north wall of the East Alley, which branches off of the east side of the downtown square. These recessed spaces used to be windows and doors, but have been bricked in. All are on the first floor of the building. These embellishments are intended to be iconic features of downtown, fun and whimsical assets for the Noblesville Cultural Arts District, and should help to showcase this newly activated public space. These embellishments are meant to beautify the alley, which is a service corridor during business hours and becomes a highly popular outdoor dining and community space on evenings and weekends.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
Sunday, Nov 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
- Be able to meet all of the project requirements (see below)
- Be age 18 or over
- Be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to a strict budget and timeline
- Carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project (Nickel Plate Arts can provide a referral to an insurance provider if needed)
THIS PROJECT WILL REQUIRE:
- Providing the application information described below
- Painting and sealing five bricked-in windows and doors on the first floor of a historic building. The building, including these bricked-in structures, was tuck-pointed in 2018)
- Coordinating with the building owner, the City of Noblesville and Nickel Plate Arts to develop an approved design
- Coordinating with the building owner, the City of Noblesville and Nickel Plate Arts for the installation of the artwork
- If applicable, coordinate with artists working on other Alley Activation projects to create complementary designs and plan installation schedules
This project will carry a commission fee of $1,250 for design, fabrication and installation of the small murals. This fee is to cover all of the artists’ compensation and anticipated expenses, including (but not limited to) design fees, paint, brushes, sealant, other materials, production and labor. Payment will be made in two installments: 1/2 will be paid to the artist at the beginning of the project, with the remaining 1/2 to be paid upon completion of the project. Please note that these payments can take up to 30 days to arrive.
Nickel Plate Arts can provide any artist with electronic or printed elevation drawings of the East Alley upon request.
Note: A request for qualifications for a large mural in the same alley is being released simultaneously with this one. Artists may apply to one or both – artists who apply to both are encouraged to explain how their designs for the large mural space and the small windows will complement one another.
Artists must submit their qualifications to Aili McGill (email@example.com) by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Nov 29, 2020. Representatives from the City of Noblesville, the Noblesville Arts Council, the building owner and Nickel Plate Arts will review submitted qualifications and select up to three finalists to interview further.
Note: While this is the intended selection process, in the event of an insufficient number of qualified applicants, Nickel Plate Arts reserves the right to invite an artist to propose, or to directly select an artist and also reserves the right to cancel the opportunity entirely at any point and for any reason.
Finalists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
Technical Ability: Artist’s submission indicates professionalism, skill with materials and techniques, and indicates the capacity to meet the requirements of this project
Artistic Quality: Artist’s past work is appropriate to its context, innovative, creative and stylistically distinctive
This timeline represents the project as it now appears. Changes may be necessary as the project progresses.
- Release Request for Qualifications: Oct 21, 2020
- Deadline for qualification submissions: Nov 29, 2020
- Selection Committee Review: Nov 30-Dec 11, 2020
- Selection of final candidate: No later than Dec 14, 2020
- Design: Dec 14, 2020 – Mar 31, 2021
- Installation: Any time between Mar 1 and April 30, 2021, depending on weather.
- Dedication and Kick-Off Party: The First Friday after installation or the date of another key community event in march or April, 2021.
HOW TO APPLY:
Artists must submit the following information to Aili McGill, Director, Nickel Plate Arts firstname.lastname@example.org (please note: submission materials will not be returned to applicants).
- Application: Please fill out the form below completely and return it (including your proposed budget) with the other items listed below.
- Resume: Please include a copy of your artistic resume
- Cover Letter: Please include a statement about your interest in this project, as well as any personal or professional connection you have to Noblesville and how that connection influences your interest in this project. Please also include a statement about how your previous work experience qualifies you for this opportunity.
- Examples of previous artwork: Submit 2-10 digital images in .jpg or .pdf format of past work. Please limit the file size of each image to 2MB or less. If possible, include images of at least 1 previous project that is appropriate to the conditions of this brief.
- Image information sheet: Submit a sheet with the following information about each submitted project: title, date completed, client/neighborhood/site name, total artwork budget, and a brief (1-2 sentences) description of the project or piece at is relates to this project. Include a directory of which image titles you have submitted are associated with each project (ex: for an artist named Smith: PROJECT x: Images Smith 1, Smith 2, Smith 3; PROJECT Y: Smith 4, Smith 5, Smith 6). Submit this sheet in .doc, .docx or .pdf format.
DELIVERY OF SUBMISSIONS:
Submissions may be emailed to email@example.com shared via Dropbox, or hand-delivered to Aili McGill at Nickel Plate Arts located at the below address.
Mailed or delivered submissions must be loaded on a single usb drive. CDs, DVDs, or printed items cannot be accepted. USB drives must arrive at Nickel Plate Arts no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday, Nov 29, 2020. A Dropbox share request must be time-stamped by 11:59 pm on Sunday, Nov 29, 2020 – all items must be included in the shared folder by that time. Any item that is time-stamped as being uploaded after 11:59 pm will be disqualified from consideration.
The Delivery Address is:
ATTN: Aili McGill
Nickel Plate Arts
107 S. 8th Street
Noblesville, IN 46060
Contact: Aili McGill, Director, Nickel Plate Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-452-3690