19 Jun City of Noblesville Seeks Artist for North Alley Mural
The City of Noblesville seeks an eye-popping, brightly colored, abstract or geometric design to serve as the backdrop of this newly activated public space. This mural is meant to beautify the alley which will be a pedestrian centered gateway into downtown and will add vibrancy to Noblesville’s Cultural Arts District.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
- Be able to meet all of the project requirements (see below)
- Be age 18 or over
- Be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to a strict budget and timeline
- Carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project (Nickel Plate Arts can provide a referral to an insurance provider if needed)
THIS PROJECT WILL REQUIRE:
- Providing a concept design with application
- Painting and sealing a panel or panels provided by the City of Noblesville
- The mural will be 15’ wide and 10’ tall on three (3) panels, each sized at 5’x10’
- Coordinating with the building owner, the City of Noblesville and Nickel Plate Arts to develop an approved design
- Coordinating with the building owner, the City of Noblesville and Nickel Plate Arts for the installation of the panel(s)
This project will carry a commission fee of $3,750 for design, fabrication and installation of the mural. This fee is to cover all of the artists’ compensation and anticipated expenses, including (but not limited to) design fees, paint, brushes, sealant, other materials, production and labor. Payment will be made in two installments: 1/2 will be paid to the artist at the beginning of the project, with the remaining 1/2 to be paid upon completion of the project. Please note that these payments can take up to 30 days to arrive.
Nickel Plate Arts can provide any artist with electronic of printed elevation drawings of the North Alley upon request.
Artists must submit their qualifications to Aili McGill (email@example.com) by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 12, 2020. Representatives from the City of Noblesville, the Noblesville Arts Council, the building owner and Nickel Plate Arts will review submitted qualifications and select up to three finalists to interview further.
Note: While this is the intended selection process, in the event of an insufficient number of qualified applicants, Nickel Plate Arts reserves the right to invite an artist to propose, or to directly select an artist and also reserves the right to cancel the opportunity entirely at any point and for any reason.
Finalists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
Technical Ability: Artist’s submission indicates professionalism, skill with materials and techniques, and indicates the capacity to meet the requirements of this project
Artistic Quality: Artist’s past work is appropriate to its context, innovative, creative and stylistically distinctive
This timeline represents the project as it now appears. Changes may be necessary as the project progresses.
- Release Request for Qualifications: June 15, 2020
- Deadline for qualification submissions: July 12, 2020
- Selection Committee Review: July 13 -17, 2020
- Selection of final candidate: No later than July 24, 2020
- Design and Fabrication: July 24 – August 31, 2020
- Installation: Week of August 31, 2020
- Dedication and Kick-Off Party: First Friday, September 4, 2020
HOW TO APPLY:
Artists must submit the following information to Aili McGill, Director, Nickel Plate Arts firstname.lastname@example.org (please note: submission materials will not be returned to applicants).
- Application: Please fill out the form at the bottom of this page completely and return it (including your proposed budget) with the other items listed below.
- Resume: Please include a copy of your artistic resume
- Cover Letter: Please include a statement about your interest in this project, as well as any personal or professional connection you have to Noblesville and how that connection influences your interest in this project. Please also include a statement about how your previous work experience qualifies you for this opportunity.
- Examples of previous artwork: Submit 2-10 digital images in .jpg or .pdf format of past work. Please limit the file size of each image to 2MB or less. If possible, include images of at least 1 previous project that is appropriate to the conditions of this brief.
- Image information sheet: Submit a sheet with the following information about each submitted project: title, date completed, client/neighborhood/site name, total artwork budget, and a brief (1-2 sentences) description of the project or piece at is relates to this project. Include a directory of which image titles you have submitted are associated with each project (ex: for an artist named Smith: PROJECT x: Images Smith 1, Smith 2, Smith 3; PROJECT Y: Smith 4, Smith 5, Smith 6). Submit this sheet in .doc, .docx or .pdf format.
DELIVERY OF SUBMISSIONS:
Submissions may be emailed to email@example.com shared via Dropbox, or hand-delivered to Aili McGill at Nickel Plate Arts located at the below address.
Mailed or delivered submissions must be loaded on a single usb drive. CDs, DVDs, or printed items cannot be accepted. USB drives must arrive at Nickel Plate Arts no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 12, 2020. A dropbox share request must be time-stamped by 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 12, 2020 – all items must be included in the shared folder by that time. Any item that is time-stamped as being uploaded after 11:59 pm will be disqualified from consideration.
The Delivery Address is:
ATTN: Aili McGill
Nickel Plate Arts
107 S. 8th Street
Noblesville, IN 46060
Contact: Aili McGill, Director, Nickel Plate Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-452-3690